Is there any advice you cna give me to remove a naegative…

Customer Question
Is there any advice...

Is there any advice you cna give me to remove a naegative item on my credit report> see hsitory of this belwoin 2006 I received a scholarship from AES/PHEAA for $3000.I graduated in 2009 and moved to CaliforniaIn 2013, while getting approved for an apartment rental, I found out I had a negative entry on my credit report due to the 2006 scholarship having been re classified as a loan. I had never received any notice of this reclassification, by mail , phone or otherwise.Also in 2013, I contacted the AES/PHEAA, and promptly paid off the full amount of the loan including interest ( and I believe a small penalty) (I found out that the scholarship had been re classified as a loan as I did not work in Pennsylvania after graduation. Again i never received information on this re classification and only became aware of it , when I contacted AES/PHEAA in 2013).in 2017 I applied for a home mortgage and I found that my credit score was limiting my ability to get a good interest rate. ( due to the same said AES/PHEAA situation noted above)

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

?

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes, we wrote several letters to the credit agencies and the creditor to no avail

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
12/27/2017
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Generally, the law requires that only accurate information be provided on your credit report. There are some ways to help get things that are inaccurate or flat out wrong removed or adjusted from your credit report. I found a website where you can purchase a draft letter that points out the important parts of the Fair Credit Reporting Act (the law that requires the credit agencies to reflect accurate information). The letter is only $10 and you can copy it and send it to all three agencies so you don't have to pay more than once. You can click here to get started.

If you have already tried this or if you are not interested, sadly, the next best thing is waiting 7 years until the items have been removed from your report. In this case, you may only have to wait another 18-24 months to have it removed, depending on when it was placed on there.

If you want to go the nuclear route, you could always sue the credit agencies if this information is inaccurate.

Another option is to send this request to the loan service directly and have the explain and identify the debt and if it is incorrect, have them remove it.

Did you have any other questions for me at all today?

i have already tried letters from a credit repair company similar to what you suggested, i have sent two letter to each credit agency and it has not helped. I'm assuming the agencies get these from letter all the time and tend to ignore them. I have dealt directly with AES , the company who sent in the negative report, they refuse to change anything as they say that the info is correct and they are required to report. I am not stating the negative report is inaccurate, just that it is misleading based on their failure to notify me appropriately and the fact i paid in full as soon as i was aware of the loan. Their retort is that it was my obligation to be aware of the loan, though how can i be are of something like that , that is 'you do not know what you do not know'. i feel their reporting can be construed as inaccurate in the sense i was not aware of my loan obligation. thoughts? any other ways to proceed?

I see what you mean. So, there are a limited amount of things that you could do, but some of them may require a lot of work if you're willing to put the work in. Your options here are to either go through arbitration or to bring a lawsuit in a courthouse to get them to change the information. One other option to have some consumer protection is to contact your state attorney general. They are the lead enforcers of the law in the state and they often deal with complaints such as these. They are usually overwhelmed with cases so you may not get a response right away, but typically you can have someone interview you and if there is a reason to bring charges, they will. For example, the state of California received complaints about Ashford University/Bridgepoint Education and the state brought a lawsuit on its own basedon what they heard from consumers.

I have already contacted the state attorney general's office, they just passed through my complain to the loan company, who provided the same exact response that they had to me directly, So that was no help. I doubt a law suit is an option. technically they are correct, i was late on a loan. However I thought , given the circumstances ( that is , i was unaware of the loan , I believed it to be a scholarship, and once aware of loan and payment schedule I paid it in full and immediately ,ahead of the payment schedule. I thought as a matter of good faith and the spirit of the fair credit reporting act, and that they would remove the negative report ( also it is now over 4 years old). any last thoughts>?

I'm sorry to hear about that. It seems as if you have thought through all of the available options to compel them to make the change. The only thing left to do is to wait seven years until the negative information is taken off your record. It's not too much longer from now; however, it may be your only option left under the circumstances. I'm very sorry about that. Did you have any other questions for me?

Legal Eagle, Lawyer