I had to go to court for a collection i don't know who they…

Customer Question
I had to go...

I had to go to court for a collection i don't know who they are. They have a wage assignment on me now. I had to get my papers regarding this but it still doesn't tell me anything. What would be my next step.

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?

ILLINOIS

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes, I was suppose to go to court on 9/22/17, but didn't know what it was so i didn't go. they served me a summons back in 7/2009, but don't remember getting one, but the papers said my mom took the summons.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No i think that's it.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Legal
12/27/2017
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 3 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

Unfortunately, doing nothing in the beginning has left you with very few options now. All you can do is file an objection to wage garnishment and try to claim an exemption to the court. It is too late to try to argue the debt is invalid, you failed to appear in court on 9/22/17. You can try to get a local consumer protection attorney to file to vacate the judgment against you, but they would need to see all of the documents filed in the clerk of court's file to see specifically what this debt is and what proof they have of the debt and until you get that you do not even know if you have any way at all to vacate the judgment.

I mean when a debtor does not show up in court, it makes it very hard on anyone later to try to undo the results of that failure to appear, so it may be that once you get the file from the clerk's office with the original lawsuit explaining the debt that the local consumer attorney may not have any legal basis to file and they will be forced to try to negotiate a settlement on the debt to try to avoid the garnishment.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

You already told me everything I knew, but wondering if this was a 7 day free trail why did you take 42.00 out of my account. I don’t mind the 5 cuz you answered my question.

Thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately, when experts answer customers, if the customer does not tell the expert what they already know and what specifically the customer wants to know, the expert has absolutely no idea what the customer knows or does not know or needs more information about.

So, if you need more information about something you have to ask us specifically.

As far as payment issues, as stated above, the experts are NOT site employees, we have no clue what the site charges customers, so you have to take that up with customer service I am afraid. Sorry we cannot answer your payment issues.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney