Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Need to evict a former girl friend, minnesota, printed some…

Customer Question
Need to evict a...

Need to evict a former girl friend

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Minnesota

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Printed some mn papers all the questions so not fit

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Help

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/27/2017
Lawyer: Loren, Attorney replied 1 month ago
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

Do you have any written agreement or lease signed by her?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no

Thank you for the additional information.

Unfortunately, once you allow a person to make residence in your home, they assume the rights of a month to month tenant. This is true even if the pay no rent and you consider them a "houseguest" The law considers them a tenant.

Therefore, under Minnesota law, you will need to give 3 month's notice to terminate her "tenancy". Give it in writing, including a specific date when she must vacate, if not sooner (voluntarily).

If she fails to vacate by the stated date then you will need to file a forcible detainer action in the local court to get an order of ejectment. The order is then placed with the sheriff for execution and they come out to the property to remove the tenant/guest and their personal property.

I wish I could tell you there is an easier way, but unless you follow this process, you expose yourself to civil liability.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question? Please let me know.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am going to contact a local attorney

Have I answered your question?

Tina, Lawyer