Can PTSD Extend the statute of limitations for filing a

title seven discrimination actionBeyond the...
Can PTSD Extend the statute of limitations for filing a title seven discrimination actionBeyond the usual two-year period
12/27/2017
DamienJD
DamienJD, Attorney

Hello again: Please give me a moment to review your question.

There could be a possibility. Some types of PTSD are a legal disability. And legal disabilities can toll the statute of limitations.

impairments that Qualify for PTSD Disability Benefits are discussed below.

Some disability claims for post traumatic stress disorder are approved by satisfying requirements under “Anxiety Disorders.” To do this,

your medical records must document at least one of the following findings:

1. You must recall a traumatic experience; and/or
  2. You must have recurring obsessions or compulsions; and/or
  3. You must exhibit an irrational fear of a situation, object, or activity that is persistent enough that it causes a compulsion in you to avoid the situation, object, or activity; and/or
  4. You must have severe panic attacks, with symptoms of fear, intense apprehension, and feelings of impending doom and terror, on an average of at least once a week; and/or
  5. You must experience generalized persistent anxiety accompanied by at least three of the following symptoms: autonomic hyperactivity (shortness of breath, rapid heart rate, dry mouth, cold hands, and dizziness), apprehensive expectation (anxiety, fear, worry, and persistent thoughts of potential misfortune), motor tension (fatigability, trembling, restlessness, and muscle tension), or vigilance and scanning behavior (feeling keyed up, increased startling, and impaired concentration).

In addition, you must meet the conditions of either paragraph 1 or 2 below:

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

1. Your medical records must show at least two of the following findings:

1. You are markedly restricted in your normal daily activities, and/or
    2. You have marked difficulties in maintaining social functioning, and/or
    3. You have marked difficulty in maintaining your concentration, persistence, or pace, and/or
    4. You have repeated episodes of decompensation (worsening psychiatric symptoms), that are of extended duration.
  2. Your medical records must prove that your PTSD results in your complete inability to function on your own outside your house.

DamienJD
DamienJD, Attorney