I live in Georgia and my mom passed in Illinois. She did not…

Customer Question
I live in Georgia...

I live in Georgia and my mom passed in Illinois. She did not have a Beneficiary or a will. I want to open up an estate account to deposit checks with her name and my name on them. Can I open the account in Georgia or do I need to open in Illinois? I was told to get a letter of Administration or can I do a small Advidavit since the amount is only 3500?

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Once I do everything can i take the paperwork to a bank here in Ga?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
12/27/2017
Lawyer: Thelawman2, Attorney replied 7 months ago
Thelawman2
Thelawman2, Attorney

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

Just to confirm, where is the money currently located that you are trying to use. Is it in an account in your mother's name? Is it already being transferred to you?

The money is in the form of checks, which are here with me in Georgia.

And do they already have you and your mother's name on them? Or are they just made out to your mother?