I have a person staying with me in my home. He now wants to…

Customer Question
I have a person...

I have a person staying with me in my home. He now wants to have his mail delivered to my address. What will I have to do if we part ways?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Torrington, CT

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Right now he's not paying any rent.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Legal
12/27/2017
Lawyer: Loren, Attorney replied 5 months ago
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

Unfortunately, once you allow a person to make residence in your home, they assume the rights of a month to month tenant. This is true even if the pay no rent and you consider them a "houseguest" The law considers them a tenant.

Therefore you will need to give 3 day's notice to terminate their "tenancy". Give it in writing, including a specific date when they must vacate, if not sooner (voluntarily).

If they fail to vacate by the stated date then you will need to file a forcible detainer action in the local court to get an order of ejectment. The order is then placed with the sheriff for execution and they come out to the property to remove the tenant/guest and their personal property.

I wish I could tell you there is an easier way, but unless you follow this process, you expose yourself to civil liability.

Are you online with me?

Thank you. I thought as much.

You are very welcome.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

A bonus is not expected, but is always appreciated.

Thank you!

Loren, Attorney