I have been contacted by Ted Morse Managing Senior Director…

Customer Question
I have been contacted...

I have been contacted by Ted Morse Managing Senior Director of New Products about an idea I had. The company is run by ***** *****on Pittsburgh PA, please I would like to know if it is a scam before I start investing on my project. Sherry Dykema

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a PA lawyer about this?

What is a PA lawyer

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Just got paperwork from this company on prices of staarting and papers for giving my permission. Mr Morse talked to me on phone for quite some time telling me all the procedures and what could happen to my product etc. I have not sent a picture in yet only wrote down what it looks like.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Only what it will cost me. I live on SS and Pension

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/27/2017
Lawyer: Zoey, JD, Attorney replied 5 months ago
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

No, this is not a scam, although these kinds of companies are controversial in nature. That is because most people who engage these companies spend more to get their invention marketed than they ever make from the enterprise. That's not always the fault of the invention company. Not every good idea has a strong market.

Davison has been around for a long time. They registered their domain name back in 1994, and their Whois registration information is accessible to the public, which would mean that they don't feel a need to hide behind the anonymity of the internet. They were incorporated in 1989, which is confirmed by the registry of the Pennsylvania Secretary of State, where they appear as an active corporation doing business in that state.

All of that is very good. They are known to the Better Business Bureau. On their scale from A to F the Better Business Bureau gives Davison an A rating. You may see the review here.

https://www.bbb.org/pittsburgh/business-reviews/product-development-and-marketing/davison-design-development-inc-in-pittsburgh-pa-12000782/bbb-accreditation

Over the last three years there were 143 complaints that they fielded about Davison. Almost all of them had to do with problems with their service. You should read the complaint history carefully, to see if this process is for you.

In the distant past, 1997, Davison has had its share trouble with the Federal Trade Commission, our chief regulatory agency. Davison was brought into court along with other similar companies and fined heavily in a civil settlement in 2008. Since then, they have taken great pains to get out from under that cloud.

As a result of that earlier suit, all companies like Davison have been ordered to provide a disclaimer that discloses how many of their clients over the previous 5 years have made more money from their inventions than they paid to Davison. You want to look over any such disclaimers carefully.

But are they legitiimate? Yes. And will they give you the opportunity to develop and market your product? Yes.