Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

My dad has a will & just passed away....i am power of

Customer Question
My dad has a...

My dad has a will & just passed away....i am power of attny.....my sister just gave me a typed up letter that had dads signature on it & was notorized 5 yrs ago. My question is when this amendment was made should the power of atty be notified?

Lawyer's Assistant: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

HIs will was made like 25 yrs ago yes

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Legal
12/27/2017
Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 1 month ago
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

My question is when this amendment was made should the power of atty be notified?

.

Legally no, there is no duty to notify a POA when someone changes or amends their will. A POA just shares the power of the grantor to manage the financial affairs of the grantor. But the grantor doesn't have any type of legal duty to the POA to inform them about their private and confidential actions regarding their estate. However, they would typically notify the executor of their estate and may give them a copy of the amendment and will.

.

Any will or amendment is entirely confidential until the maker dies at which time a will is admitted to probate to settle their estate and then becomes a public document.

.

.

thanks

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much

Barrister, Attorney