Can an agency demand damages if a caregiver works for me…

Customer Question
Can an agency demand...

Can an agency demand damages if a caregiver works for me without the agency?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

What do you mean?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The caregiver quit the agency.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
12/27/2017
Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Attorney replied 7 months ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the site - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well.

Give me just a moment to review what you've written.

It depends upon whether you signed an agreement with the agency saying you won't hire any of their members. Otherwise they can't arbitrarily try to place that condition on you after the fact.