I just received a notice from a court stating a judgement…

Customer Question
I just received a...

I just received a notice from a court stating a judgement has been passed against me by one of my creditors. The issue is I received no notice and they claim that service was performed back in February of this year. That is not possible since I was living in NY from January to July. Can they just go to court, say that service was performed and get a judgment like this?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

OHio

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I just received papers today. It's case number ***** in the Parma Municipal COurt

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

How much will this cost? I am currently unemployed

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Legal
12/26/2017
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thanks for your patience. So, if you never received any notice about this situation at all, then you can make a motion to set aside the default judgment. Generally, the default judgment is issued when one party doesn't show up for court and a judgment is entered automatically against them. The law allows you to request with a court to have the default judgment set aside, giving you a chance to have your day in court. Typically, you can start with typing up the facts on pleading paper (attached) and submitting it in the court where the judgment was made. What other questions did you have for me today?