Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

My ex-wife passed away last August. We jointly owned

Customer Question
My ex-wife passed away...

My ex-wife passed away last August. We jointly owned property in Gilbert, AZ where she resided until her death. I paid for the property which was fully paid for several years ago. Per our divorce agreement, she paid her utility bills and was to maintain the property. She also is to received $100,000.00 plus 50% of every thing over $200,000.00 when property was sold. I did not have sole survivorship of the property upon her death. I agreed to pay $5600 per month support which I did from our divorce in 1995 until about the middle of 2013 when my finance made it impossible to sustain the payments. Her sister is the executor of my ex-wife estate and if appears that she is going to seek the payment of the spousal support (per a little from her attorney) that I did not pay. Can they do this and can they in some way claim my share of the property. The property is being listed for $525,000.00.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Arizona

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not that I am aware of.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I do not think so.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/26/2017
Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Attorney replied 1 month ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the site - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well.

Give me just a moment to review what you've written.

The estate can seek to recover the spousal support that was owed - in the same way that the estate can seek to recover any debt that was owed. But, it wouldn't affect your ownership interest in the property since the two are completely separate.

Please let me know if I've answered your question. If I have, could you please take a moment to check the box stating that I answered your question - by selecting the appropriate number of stars - so that I receive credit for working with you. If you have any follow up questions I would be happy to answer them. Experts only get credit for the time and effort we spend on our answers if you rate positively - 5 stars is definitely appreciated!. It does NOT cost you anything extra and it allows me to get credit for helping you. You CAN still ask follow up questions after rating. There may be a lag between your question and my answer; this is because I'm either not at my computer or helping someone else but I assure you I will ALWAYS come back and answer your questions.

Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney