I am being sued for a debt of 2400. I live off of 2300

Customer Question
I am being sued...

I am being sued for a debt of 2400. I live off of 2300 dollars a month. I have been told to come to court. Also I have been called a liar in the court doc. What should I do?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Ohio

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

What do u mean?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I did write them a letter stating I would like to work out a payment schedule.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Legal
12/26/2017
Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Attorney replied 6 months ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the site - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well.

A lot of people believe that responding via letter to the company that filed the lawsuit is enough. It's not. You need to reply to the Complaint (the court case that was filed against you); otherwise they will get a judgment against you - and losing by default is a pretty bad way to lose.