My car broke down on the side of the road bout a week ago, i…

Customer Question
Hello so my car...

Hello so my car broke down on the side of the road bout a week ago, i couldnt find out where they took my car and when i did they were closed for days during holiday. The fines still continued to stack so right now i dont have the funds to pay them, theres no criminal charges on the vehicle its a civil matter. are they able to legally hold my car or am i able to pick it up and they can send me a bill in mail?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

Arizona 2009

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Its a 2009 scion

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Theres no criminal charge, the police did put a tow sticker on it but i talked to them and they said theres no criminal charge and they not holding in a police lot, its in a private tow lot

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Legal
12/26/2017
Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Attorney replied 6 months ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the site - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well.

Give me just a moment to review what you've written.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but they odds of them releasing the car without payment are very close to zero - since once the car is released they pretty much have no leverage to get paid. I wish I could tell you otherwise but that is the law and, believe me while I don't always love what the law is, I'm not doing you any favors if I don't actually tell you what it is.