Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Want to loan someone 35,974.00 at 10% for 60 months. The…

Want to loan someone 35,974.00...
Want to loan someone 35,974.00 at 10% for 60 months. The first payments will be $500.00 for 13 months, from Jan 2018 to Feb 2019. This will be $6500.00. I will subtract $6000.00 from the 35,794.00 with interest of $500.00 and finance 29,794.00 for payments of $768.74 for 47 months. I will earn a total of 6336.97 + 500.00 for a total of 6836.97. Is this legal in Washington state?? Total interest and principal is 42,630.00. Thank you.
12/26/2017
Michael Gonzalez
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.Washington State has a usury law (RCW 19.52) that sets limits on the maximum rate of interest a lender may charge a borrower. The usury law applies to consumer loans that are not related to a credit card debt, a retail installment contract or a consumer lease.According to RCW 19.52.020(1), a lender may, if agreed in writing between the lender and borrower, charge an interest rate at a maximum rate of 12% per year. Or, a lender may charge 4% above the first auction quote on the Federal Reserve’s 26-week treasury bills made in the month preceding a written agreement between lender and borrower. A lender may use whichever rate is higher - 12% or 4% above the Federal Reserve rate on 26-week treasury bills.For many years, the Federal Reserve rate on 26-week treasury bills has remained below 8%, so that Washington State’s maximum interest rate under the general usury law has effectively been 12%.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback.Rating me costs you nothing. Thank you.

Michael Gonzalez
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is it lawful to break the debt into two segments...thirteen months at 500.00/mo and then 47 mos at $768.74/mo. I have made three other loans to this person and he has been very slow pay. Three original loans were for $25,000.00, $8,000.00 and $3,000.00 (Yes, I am a sucker.) He now owes $22,140, $6980.00, and $3,000.00. I have never charged him late payments; however, interest has continued. Will I get into tax trouble because I have not actively pursued the collection? I did report the interest I collected for the years I collected.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK by me. How do I proceed??
Irwin Law
Phone call session started
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have notarized contracts for all three loans including amortization schedules.
Michael Gonzalez
Michael Gonzalez
Michael Gonzalez