If someone threaten to file a complaint against me to my…

Customer Question
If someone threaten to file...
If someone threaten to file a complaint against me to my local municipality, how could I know whether they actually file the complaint or not? What will happen if someone did file a complaint?
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/26/2017
Lawyer: P. Simmons, Attorney replied 6 months ago
P. Simmons, Attorney

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

Before a municipality can take any adverse action against you, you have a "due process" right. That means that the municipality must provide you notice of the charge and the ability to defend yourself.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Thank you for your answer. If I did not get such notice for a few months, does it mean that there was not such a complaint filed?

Just a moment please...

If you are not charged? It means just that...no more, no less. The municipality has discretion...that means that they are not required to prosecute any particular complaint. So if there are no charges? It means either that there was no complaint, or if there was a complaint, that the municipality did not take action on the complaint

as you mentioned if there was a complaint and the municipality did not take action on the complaint, will there be any bad record on me?

No. To have a "record" requires a finding of guilt or culpability.