I was living with someone for 18 years in California. He…

Customer Question
I was living with...

I was living with someone for 18 years in California. He asked me to leave. Am I entitled to compensation since the house is in his name.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a CA lawyer about this?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I left the house 2 months ago

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That's it

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Legal
12/26/2017
Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 6 months ago
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

I am not sure I understand your question... compensation for what?

.

.

thanks

For making me leave the home. Don't I have rights? It was an 18 year relationship.

Unfortunately, if you were living with someone in their home, your legal status would be that of a tenant under an oral tenancy agreement... You don't gain any legal ownership or rights to compensation by dating/living with someone for an extended period of time as CA doesn't recognize relationships like common law marriage.

.

The person is your legal landlord, even if you were involved with them romantically and they would have to go through all the formalities of terminating your tenancy with a 60 day notice and then pursuing a formal eviction if you hadn't chosen to leave voluntarily..

.

I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...

.

.