My son and wife are renting my mothers house next door and…

Customer Question
HI, my son and...

HI, my son and wife are renting my mothers house next door and we have never drawn up an agreement,of course this is causing problems. Now we need to do an agreement and don't know the best way to go about it. I am somewhat computer literate, and would like to know a website to go to that would help us thanks

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Virginia

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

None just told him we need to draw up something and he gets defensive as if we think he's going to stiff us,they are next door and we really want to keep the relationship at a decent level.at first they wanted to buy it,but don't think that will happen

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No that's it

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Legal
12/24/2017
Lawyer: Loren, Attorney replied 6 months ago
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

Here is a link to a basic lease agreement that you can download and fill in to present to your son and wife for signature.

VA LEASE AGREEMENT

Do not sign it until the tenants sign first.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question? Please let me know.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!