My 17 yr old son has been employed with a supermarket chain…

Customer Question
My 17 yr old...

My 17 yr old son has been employed with a supermarket chain for about 18 months and has been complaining about harassment from the local store managers and supervisors in regards ***** ***** derogatory comments pertaining to sexuality.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

New Jersey

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My son got exasperated to the point that he walked out of his his store yesterday and there was seemingly a lack of concern on behalf of his employer as they did not attempt to contact neither him nor his parent(s).

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Legal
12/24/2017
Lawyer: LegalKnowledge, Attorney replied 6 months ago
LegalKnowledge, Attorney

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Ok

Harassment is only unlawful in New Jersey if it is based on a legally protected category, such as your race, age, sex (gender), pregnancy, mental or physical disability, religion, color, national origin, sexual orientation, or military/veteran status. To be legally actionable in New Jersey, workplace harassment also has to be “severe” or “pervasive.” Severity deals with offensiveness of the act(s) in question, while pervasiveness deals with their frequency. As a result, one extremely severe act of harassment, or a series of relatively minor actions, can create a hostile work environment, and therefore can be legally actionable harassment. However, a limited number of relatively minor acts might not be enough to give rise to a harassment claim. As such, you need to take your son to an employment law attorney next week when they are open and have him speak with them about what went on so they can assess the extent of this and there is a valid claim to sue.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!