My mother passed away September 10th and she had a car

Customer Question
My mother passed away...

My mother passed away September 10th and she had a car through Subaru in Ca and I cant find anything about credit life insurance in her paperwork...she had gotton the car in June and put 5,000 down! I called the car company and let them know she had passed and here it is Dec and it is still parked in front of my frienHow do I find out and what do I do about the car? I live in Co and I could use it but cannot afford 500.00 payments

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a CA lawyer about this?

I had had one of her attorneys looking into it but because he was not making any money from the case once I dropped trying to have an autopsy and had her cremated he wont help me I dont have the money for an attorney my mom had maybe 8,000 dollars to her name

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I have called them numerous times letting them know she had passed,asked about the credit life insurance and getting no answers from them, not sure who her insurance carrier was so can't contact them

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I told them where the car was as I was in California for three weeks and the car is STILL there! I would like to know if there is a way for me to keep the vehicle without the payments

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Legal
12/24/2017
Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 3 months ago
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Unfortunately no, you wouldn't get to keep the car unless you also make the payments... When someone dies, their debts don't die with them and their estate is still liable. So now her estate owns the car and if the payments aren't made, eventually the lender will come and repo the car.

.

You could file a small estate affidavit with the local probate court where she lived and then take it down to the DMV and change the registration over to you, but unless you made the payments, they will just come and repo the vehicle eventually.

.

However, once you have the small estate affidavit, the lender might be willing to talk to you about working something out so you could take over the loan or possibly buy it for less..

.

.

thanks

Barrister, Attorney