I am living in my brothers house. He died. He left

Customer Question
I am living in...

I am living in my brothers house. He died. He left everything to his wife. His wife lives in Vermont and I live in Montana. His wife said that i can stay in the house. How can i live her legally for now.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a VT lawyer about this?

No, do i have to talk to a lawyer in VT?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

My Brother just died a few days ago. My sister in law says that i can stay here. It is all verbal at this point.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My sister in law says that i can stay here and she don't want people coming in to get his things until she say so. I agreed.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
12/24/2017
Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 7 months ago
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

At this point, there is no one who would have the legal authority to force you to leave.. Whoever the executor of the will is would have to file a formal probate case to be appointed and then they would have the legal power to terminate your tenancy with a written 30 day notice to vacate. If you didn't move out, then they would have to file a formal eviction case in court against you after that notice expired and get a judgment and writ of possession that the sheriff would execute to force you to leave. That would take another 4-6 weeks after the notice expired.

.

So at this point, you would be looking at well over 2 months before anyone could possibly force you to move after they were legally appointed as executor by a probate court judge after filing a probate case to settle brother's estate.

.

.

thanks

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much