Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

My child’s father will not take her tomorrow on his

Customer Question
My child’s father will...

My child’s father will not take her tomorrow on his scheduled time 8am-3pm. But wants her on his next day Monday at 3pm with no explanation.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Colorado

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes. We have a parenting schedule. He should have her Sunday (tomorrow) 8a-3p

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No that’s the situation. Thank you.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Legal
12/24/2017
Lawyer: LegalKnowledge, Attorney replied 2 months ago
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
he just wants to skip tomorrow and see the child next week at his scheduled time?
he wants to skip a day (tomorrow) but then see her the following day. And I work tomorrow so that is caveat to the situation.
Thank you for the reply. He can not just skip his day and if he does could be in violation of the court order. If he does not appear and take the child and you have to incur the cost of child care or even miss work you could take him back to court and hold him in contempt and ask the judge to order he pay for the cost or loss of income. Now, if he is not scheduled to see her the following day you do not have to allow it since it is your time.
If he does not pick her up tomorrow is she in my custody until we go to court?
No. He would still be entitled to his court ordered time but you could take him to court for violating the order and not taking the child and ask for relief. You could ask to also modify the order and address in the future what happens if he fails to exercise his custody/ visitation.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be 5 STARS! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

Lawyer: LegalKnowledge, Attorney replied 1 month ago

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

LegalKnowledge, Attorney