Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

If you are being sued in a civil case but have not been

Customer Question
If you are being...

If you are being sued in a civil case but have not been served how long do they have to serve you

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Arizona

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

It has been filed in court

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That i'm not sure what its about just know I am being sued

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Legal
12/23/2017
Lawyer: LegalKnowledge, Attorney replied 2 months ago
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Good afternoon. If service of the summons and complaint is not made upon a defendant within 120 days after the filing of the complaint, the court, upon motion or on its own initiative after notice to the plaintiff, shall dismiss the action without prejudice as to that defendant or direct that service be effected within a specified time; provided that if the plaintiff shows good cause for the failure, the court shall extend the time for service for an appropriate period. This subdivision does not apply to service in a foreign country pursuant to Rule 4.2(h), (i), (j)and (k) of these rules.
Is there anything else I can answer or clarify? I am here to help so please let me know.
LegalKnowledge, Attorney