My girlfriends brother who is in army for his whole life…

Customer Question
My girlfriends brother who is...
My girlfriends brother who is in army for his whole life just notified my girlfriend he was molested by their uncle 35 years ago ( he was 4-5 yrs old at time. Is there any recourse or statue of limitations a prob. Also my girlfriend stopped making payments on a car the child molesting uncle has been letting her buy on time ( 3000$ car) but she's not paying after she found out and he's not asking for payments , what's the best approach to negotiating the title since the tension is too thick to cut w knife ,
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Legal
12/24/2017
Lawyer: P. Simmons, Attorney replied 3 months ago
P. Simmons, Attorney

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. What state is this happening in?

Indiana , I believe I stated that in original question but forgive me if not

Thanks
The IN code that covers this provides that the statute of limitations is as follows:

The statute of limitations is 7 years from accrual (from the date the minor turns 18) or + 4 from leaving dependency of abuser whichever is later

What you are describing, if the abuse took place more than 7 years after he turned 18? It is too late to prosecute.

As for negotiating? I find that the best deal is had when both sides think they have gotten a bad deal...so she may want to continue to negotiate with the uncle.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

P. Simmons, Attorney