My son's car was hit outside our house last night.. he had…

Customer Question
My son's car was...

My son's car was hit outside our house last night.. he had just got the car a month ago ..and hasn't had insurance yet.. the other driver fled without stopping.. what should my son do

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

Its in ohio.. and the car is a 2006 ford taurus

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not yet it was between midnight and 6am... he was afraid since he didn't have insurance that he would get in trouble

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Legal
12/23/2017
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 5 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

Unfortunately, if he had no insurance on the car and it was registered, he was in violation of the OH mandatory car insurance laws. The police will not likely issue a citation for it if he reports the hit and run BUT BMV will get a copy of the police report and can still administratively fine your son and suspend his driver's license.

The bot***** *****ne is that unless you know who the driver was or who owned the other car, the police are not likely to be able to find anyone and will only take a police report. So, your son risks getting his license suspended by BMV for not having insurance and the fact he just bought it a month ago does not excuse not having insurance under OH law.

So he just may end up liable to pay for his repairs and do nothing else, because without knowing who the other driver is, he could not sue them for reimbursement for those damages.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney