Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

My wife and i are continuing to get attacked by a harasser…

Customer Question
Good morning Lawyer's Assistant:...

Good morning

Lawyer's Assistant: Hello. How can I help?

My wife and i are continuing to get attacked by a harasser through online we don't know who it is but they continue to place negative reviews online and they just sent my business website a email using fake accounts how can we find out who this is?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I filed it with the police department over a year ago and this person stopped but they couldn't find out who it is now he or she is doing it again this is becoming major harrassment

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I am worried for my family and i would really like to take this person down

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Legal
12/23/2017
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 1 month ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

This has become a huge problem with the internet, people can post to the internet anonymously. The website they post to is not generally liable for what independent parties post on their site, BUT if you can prove the information is false they can be ordered to remove it from their site by the court. Of course, as a business it means you have to get an attorney and they will have to file a suit seeking only removal of the information from the websites based on the emails being fictitious and the information being false and the court can order such removal.

The other option, instead of paying an attorney is paying an online reputation service, such as https://www.reputationdefender.com/ which is a service that goes online and seeks to remove improper or negative remarks about your business.

Because you have no idea who the person is, those are your limited options. If through your suit or if reputation defender discovers who the offender is, then you can sue them for harassment, defamation and for all of the costs and damages you incurred as a result of their false emails and posts.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney