I am disappointed. I got accused by a customer for stealing…

Customer Question
I am disappointed. I...

I am disappointed. I got accused by a customer for stealing her gift card. I denied it I am not a thief! I don’t have it! I literally told the manager to look at the cameras! I am shook!

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Illinois

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Nothing this literally just happened now.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Nope. Thx.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Legal
I am not a thief. I do not have it on me. The cameras can prove that. Thank god. I really am not worried since I am confident in myself that I did not take it from her. My family taught me good values. The gift card balance was $27. Not a huge deal and the manager actually gave her $27 on another card. I did not appreciate being accused and I was asked by manager Did u take it from her? I told them no. Check the cameras. She was pretty confident too which baffled me and made me second guess myself if I had misplaced it. But I did not take it from her and steal it.
Manager told me not to worry about it. I am not. But I felt hopeless.
Am I going to get arrested. I am freaking out! I was never accussed before! What if I misplaced it? Will I still go to jail! It wasn’t my fault! How do I know she is not lying!
12/23/2017
Lawyer: LegalKnowledge, Attorney replied 6 months ago
LegalKnowledge, Attorney

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. Can you share with me how this came about?

I have no idea. I was in shock to be honest. She called the store after 2 hours claiming that I did not give her the gift card back.
But I didn’t take it. I looked in the cash register under the register in the drawers everywhere.
Thank you for the reply. If you did not take it and the manager said not to worry there should be no issue. The mere allegation alone would not be enough and if there are cameras and other evidence to show and support you did not take this, notning criminal should come from it.
Ok. I really didn’t appreciate the accusation. Is there any way I can defend myself in the workplace? This is unfair.
I understand. Since your boss has told you not to worry it does not appear they believe this women. If you suffer harm or damage as a result of this and her claims and there were false you can sue her.
What do you mean by harm or damage?
If you got fired or her posted this online and it prevented you from working could you have a defamation cause of action.
I see. I don’t think I am going to get fired bc it was not my fault. Maybe she had misplaced or lied. But it really hurt me since she did make a scene and I had a line of customers who were there. It was embarrassing.
I know you are upset and have theee feelings but it appears notning will come from this and the women was rude and made false claims. I am glad it will be alright and I thank you again for letting me help. If there is notning further I kindly just ask that you rate my help at the top at this time.
Thank you again and I am glad I was able to assist. If you have not already I kindly just ask that you rate my help at this time. Thank you again.
I am sorry but I am getting over it but I was thinking what if she was wrong and she was accusing me falsely. Is there anything I can do that can help me defend myself without worsening the situation. Something that does not involve suing?
For false accusations.
R u there? Can u respond ASAP. Thank u.

Good morning and great to hear back from you. I am happy to respond but just ask that you first-rate my help at the top at this time so the site provides me with the proper credit. Thank you for understanding.