Leased a 2007 Mercedes 230 from a friend, for one year.

Customer Question
Leased a 2007...

Leased a 2007 Mercedes 230 from a friend, for one year. friend still owe balance to the car company. signed a lease option to buy, thinking i would own the car at the end of the lease period, however, balance owing does not not want to be paid by owner . I have had use of the car for one year. What are my legal options

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Conversations with the owner concerning what to do, because she can no longer pay the full note for the car Owner was paying the interest and I was paying the principle.

Lawyer's Assistant: It can cost anywhere from $10 to $100, depending on the type of issue and how much of the Consumer Protection Lawyer's time your question is expected to take (how complex and lengthy an answer you require).

Would like to connect with you

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Can the owner be sued for breach of contract

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Legal
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
12/23/2017
Lawyer: Bill Attorney, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Bill Attorney

Dear Customer ,

Thank You for posting your legal question today. Your lease agreement with right to buy is a binding contract with your friend.

You can sue your friend for breach of contract in the Superior Ct or could consider bringing the case in the small claims ct fro claimed damages less than $10,000.

Because the lease is a sublease with the financing company having a lien on the car your interests are best served by suing your friend rather than the lender as the lender will be entitled to repossession for failure to make the agreed payments.

That said you could negotiate with the lender but aren't obligated to do so.

If you have a copy of your lease contract with your friend this can be reviewed as an additional service, just let me know .

Enforcement of the action is going to be through the civil courts as indicated depending on the amount in controversy.

Just a reminder that I'm an independent legal expert and rely on your positive feedback to get a credit today.

You do this by rating 5*****, 4**** or better.

SO I hope you rate FIVE STARS today.

Thank You

Attorney Bill