Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Im back. first afence, dui can i get a court appointed

Customer Question
Im back. first afence...

Im back. first afence, dui can i get a court appointed lawyer in the state of va. when i make my court apearcnce

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?

Virginia

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I was arested and spent the night in jail in isle of wright va.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Legal
12/23/2017
Lawyer: Zoey, JD, Attorney replied 1 month ago
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

If you are too poor to afford a lawyer, you should be eligible for a public defender. You can't just go to their office and get one. A judge has to appoint one for you. So when you show up in court for your arraignment and the judge reads the charges out to you and asks you how you plead, you should plead not guilty. That keeps all of your rights open.

Once you have pled not guilty you can let the judge know that you are not able to afford a lawyer and ask him to assign you a free lawyer. He will then adjourn the case for another date, and when you show up on that date, your lawyer will be there for you.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.

Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney