Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

We are landlords of alaska one of are rentals has not paid…

Customer Question
We are landlords of...

We are landlords of alaska one of are rentals has not paid his rent in three months,we have tried so money time to get ahold of him,he will not return calls,not sure what to do so were not out even more money,he sighned 9 month agreementhas he has 5 months left

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to an AK lawyer about this?

We are in arizon now but are property is in alaska

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

We emailed termination of agreementto him on december 19 2017,not sure what to do,on december 26 we will have someone put written notice on door to tenant

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not sure what to do

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Legal
12/23/2017
Lawyer: INFOLAWYER, Attorney replied 2 months ago
INFOLAWYER, Attorney
Greetings! I am a legal expert on the site and am working on your question.You next would file a petition to evict and get a money judgment. Eviction counsel can expedite both.martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options.If tenant appears By being prepared and pressing your claim, the other side should feel the pressure and consider the risk of losing and legal fees. That realization can help bring about a settlement!Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
you did not read what i need answers for
what more can I answer for you?
no i cancal
I only saw your asking what to do.
If you have a more specific inquiry just let me know
not 100% satisfide at all oop out
Lawyer: Bill Attorney, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
Bill Attorney

Dear Customer ,

I would like to follow up on your landlord-tenant law question. Your notice to quit should give the infringing tenant 7 days to move out. This is the required time given in Alaska law for the tenant to pay up.

Posting the notice on the door, in person or by registered mail are allowed:

"

(a) Except where service of written notice is made under AS 09.45.090(a)(1) or (b)(1), or except when notice to quit is not required by AS 09.45.090 (a)(3) or (b)(3), a person entitled to the premises who seeks to recover possession of the premises may not commence and maintain an action to recover possession of premises under AS 09.45.060 - 09.45.160 unless the person first gives a notice to quit to the person in possession.

(b) To recover possession of premises after a tenant or person in possession has failed or refused to pay rent due, service of the written notice required by AS 34.03.220 (b) or of a demand in writing for possession of the premises

(1) constitutes notice to quit, and service of a separate notice to quit is not required; and

(2) satisfies the requirements of (c) of this section and AS 34.03.310(c).

(c) A notice to quit shall be in writing and shall be served upon the tenant or person in possession by being

(1) delivered to the tenant or person;

(2) left at the premises in case of absence from the premises; or

(3) sent by registered or certified mail"

http://www.courtrecords.alaska.gov/webdocs/forms/civ-725.pdf

If the tenant doesn't vacate or pay; your next step is to file an eviction suit and claim for rent owed through a forcible entry and detainer action.

The tenant may be required to post rent bond with the court during the process.

Then correct court can be the Superior or District court depending on the amount of arrears:

"Where to File The lawsuit to get possession of the property must be filed in the judicial district in which the property is located. Civil Rule 3. . If the value of the past due rent and damage to the property is $100,000 or less, you must file your case in the district court. AS 22.15.030(a)(6) and (b). If it is greater than $100,000, you must file your case in superior court"

We are here to help.

I'm an independent legal expert and rely on your positive feedback today to get a credit for my time.

You do this by rating 5*****, 4**** or better.

SO I hope you rate FIVE STARS today.

Thank You

Attorney Bill

Bill Attorney
Bill Attorney
Bill Attorney, Lawyer