Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

What should I pay attention to when I sign and NDA? I’ve…

Customer Question
Second opinion] What should I...
Second opinion] What should I pay attention to when I sign and NDA? I’ve been signing a couple lately but want to make sure I understand what’s in it. I found this list below on a blog but I’m having a hard time finding what language actually represents that in the NDA.1. Look at what information is confidential
2. Make sure the agreement is “mutual”—meaning it protects both the clients and your information.
3. Make sure the confidential obligations terminate at some point in time. If your obligations are “Perpetual” it means you’re singing for life.
4. Be aware for non-competition clauses. They can prevent you from working for the competition of that client for a period of time.
5. Keep your intellectual property rights. You don’t want to sign away the rights of something that you own or invented.With all these points the question that comes to mind is: But how does that look? Where can I find this language in the NDA? I’ve combined five NDAs in the PDF file attached and it would be really helpful if you can point out what sections to look at to find these 5 points. Adding comments to the PDF file (with the numbers of the list above) at the specific sections of the PDF might be best.Would that be something you could help me understand?
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Legal
12/23/2017
Lawyer: Bill Attorney, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
Bill Attorney

Dear Customer ,

Thank You for posting your legal question in relation to non-disclosure and anti-compete clauses today. Both are subject to the laws of contract and take on my different forms and writings.

Some don't include IP provisions or non-compete provisions but are directed at secrecy of trade practices that employees come into contact with it from their employment that they otherwise wouldn't have received exposure too.

The courts enforce these agreements to give effect to mutual expectations and employment agreements that are necessary for the proper function of business.

Unreasonable clauses have been overruled by courts so NDA's need to bear a reasonable relationship between the employee's employment and their conditions.

The law is contained within the Supreme ct decisions rather than in statute.

Generally, non competes up to 2 years are enforceable, perpetual agreements being unreasonable and mostly struck out.

The IP clauses serve to protect the work output and product from your employment rather than your own creative works.

The anti-disclosure clauses contain damages provisions that need to bear a reasonable relationship with the the potential loss and damage done from unauthorized disclosure of company secrets.

We are here to help.

So Please follow up with me if you require additional assistance.

I'm an independent legal expert and rely on your positive feedback today to get a credit for my time.

You do this by rating 5*****, 4**** or better.

So I hope you rate FIVE STARS before your exit today.

Thank You

Attorney Bill

Bill Attorney
Bill Attorney
Bill Attorney, Lawyer