Back in July I took out a loan from Titlemax for $4,000. My…

Customer Question
Okay... So back in...

Okay... So back in July I took out a loan from Titlemax for $4,000. My car was paid for in full. Registered in the state of Florida but loan was taken out in South Carolina. I made three payments, missed November and now December. They tried to repo my vehicle. I sat in the car until the police came. The police made the repo man put the car down since it was in my yard and he had to go get a court order. I then moved the car to a locked storage facility, Titlemax is unaware of the location. Since then, they've called and said I have "no protection" and "no representation". The night of the repo, I threatened to destroy the car. I was emotional and only wanted them to stop, I did not mean it. The next day I went by their office and asked for a copy of my contract. She asked about payment and I said I couldn't answer any questions without legal representation. The next day, the manager called from the office, I returned the call. She said I don't have to answer and I could block them but she has to call me twice a day. She asked about payment and I said I cannot answer any questions at this time. Today, the manager called from her cell phone and asked about payment, I said I cannot answer anything at this time and she said that the property is no longer mine, that it will end bad either way it goes, that it will be repossed, she said she had spoken with the police and repo man about the night of the incident and they will get a

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?

"claim and delivery". The car is not located in the same county and is registered in another state. It is also valued over $7,500 which I think means she has to go through circuit court. She's already given my partner confidential information without my permission. They falsified the contract, it says the car is registered in SC. They have also called me from different phone numbers throughout the entire process. My interest rate is astronomical, at the time I did not have a job or a way to repay, just needed money to prevent eviction and feed my child. I had no other option at the time. I've since been served eviction papers and worked something out with landlord. Bills are far overdue and it's impossible for me to make any payment to them at this time. I plan to try and settle at tax time, but I'm not sure if it will be too late. This happened in the state of South Carolina

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

They tried to repo on Wednesday Dec 20th. I haven't taken any steps so far. I need to try and find a lawyer that won't charge me an arm and a leg. I have not answered anything since the night of the attempted repo. I work 8-5 and haven't had a chance to get much done

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I think that covers it for now

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
12/23/2017
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thanks for your patience. I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Could you help me understand what questions you had regarding this?

Sure thing, what am I facing legally? Will I have enough time to wait two-three more months before I offer a settlement?

I certainly understand. This seems like a tough situation. The worst that you're facing legally is a breach of contract lawsuit where they may sue you for money damages or they may sue you to have the car returned consistent with the terms of the agreement. However, filing a lawsuit could take months and it may buy you some time to come up with something.

Sometimes, just settling the debt is the easiest thing to do. It doesn't always appear as if it's the easiest thing to do, but every single day lawyers across the country are explaining to their clients that if they just work on settling their debts in a way that makes sense for them and they are going to be in a better position in the long-term. I know that in my experience representing debtors of all kinds, most creditors are willing to settle for around 50-65% of the total debt instead of fighting with you about it or trying to figure out what to do with your car.

To facilitate your situation, there’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for debt settlement (click here). It's a bit easier (and cheaper) than going through litigation and I have seen it be effective in the past. If you send this letter and they do not respond, then try sending it again to remind them that settling is really what resolving disputes is all about.

What other questions about this did you have for me today?