For contracts, such as ones for freelance writing platforms…

For contracts, such as...

For contracts, such as ones for freelance writing platforms or ones where an individual is an independent contractor, is a person always able to get out of them? There is always information on how the company may terminate the relationship, but can I as the person signing it always do so even when it isn't explicitly stated? They can't force anyone to work, so I assume that is the case?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

One of them is in New Jersey and the other is in Nevada

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Like what?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Oh sorry, no. I haven't even signed the contracts yet, I just want to understand before I do so

12/23/2017
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Of course, thank you

Thanks so much for your patience. So, if you are an independent contract, like most freelance writers are, you're welcome to exit out of the contract. Now, keep in mind that there is a possibility that the terms of the agreement limit your ability to walk away from the contract. For example, they may require some advanced notice or they may require that you do it in writing, for example. However, they cannot force you to work. The worst thing that they could do is try to sue you for breaching the contract and collect money damages. This doesn't mean though that you are bound to them. What other questions did you have for me regarding this?

Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Perfect, that is all I need. I appreciate your help. Contracts are difficult to decipher for the layperson. 5 stars.

I concur! They're difficult for lawyers too. Thanks so much and best of luck!