In my husband's will, it states that I am the "Personal

Customer Question
In my husband's will...

In my husband's will, it states that I am the "Personal Representative" of his estate. My bank will not release funds to me that are in our bank accounts because certain accounts do not have my name on them. Do I need a lawyer to file the will with the court in order to be officially appointed the Executor of the will?

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?

Maryland

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

The death has been reported to social security and social security notified the bank.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The majority of my money is in these accounts and I need it to pay the bills. I also contributed to the accounts. The will states that I am to use his assets as needed. I am the only person listed in his will and am listed as his personal representative.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
12/22/2017
Lawyer: Richard, Attorney replied 7 months ago
Richard, Attorney

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Yes, you will need to do so. I know that this seems like a huge hassle, but this is for the protection of all involved parties. In order for other parties to be assured that the will is valid and your appointment is valid, those parties need verification from the probate court that this was indeed the valid last will and testament and that you are indeed the authorized personal representative as evidenced by letters testamentary issued by the court. Otherwise, third parties can't be sure that someone else is not going to later claim to have the valid will and to be the representative. These rules are also in place for your own protection to prevent someone else claiming estate assets.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (i.e., 4 or 5 stars)(hopefully Excellent/5 stars!). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!