Can I bring back from Vietnam to USA thru Los Angeles

Customer Question
Airport an urn containing 70+...
Can I bring back from Vietnam to USA thru Los Angeles Airport an urn containing 70+ old remains of a 12-year child deceased in 1940s recently exhumed for re-internment in USA in a family plot in order to be "reunited" with her family who has immigrated to USA in 1975 and now US citizens. Thank you!
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/22/2017
Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 6 months ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. (You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.)

The answer is yes. There is no such restriction for human ashes. However note that TSA states that "passengers transport remains in temporary or permanent 'security friendly' containers constructed of light-weight materials such as plastic or wood." This means that you need to ensure you are traveling with the ashes in either a temporary container or a cremation urn constructed of x-ray friendly material. If you have a cremation urn, you do need to ensure it is purely wood or plastic, and can be x-rayed.

"I STRIVE FOR FIVE!" My goal is to answer your question to your satisfaction. Please rate with five stars (★★★★★) and click SEND. It does not cost anything extra to rate. You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars. Rating my answer the bottom two stars or failing to submit the rating reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. If you are not satisfied for whatever reason, or, have follow up questions, please simply reply with SEND before or after rating and let's continue to chat until you are satisfied. This is what I am here for.

The other question was closed as a duplicate; see below for the answer to your follow up.

Do I need any specific paper/document that certifies/shows the urn contains human remains/ashes, and if so from what sources i.e. government, crematory or other similar service organizations? Thank you

There is no such requirement by TSA. Some airlines do not allow cremated remains in checked bags, so please check with your airline to learn more about possible restrictions.

Kind Reminder: Please, use SEND button to keep chatting, or please rate positively and click SEND to submit your rating once satisfied. You may always ask follow ups at no charge before or after rating. "I STRIVE FOR FIVE!"