An attorney is suing me in small claims court for not

Customer Question
An attorney is suing...

An attorney is suing me in small claims court for not signing a settlement agreement in a case that i agreed to settle only after he agreed to lower his fee and expenses but then didn't do so. I refused to sign the settlement until he put in writing that the amount that he would lower his fee to and honestly represent the expenses he said i owed him. I believe this is a harassment case or SLAPP case because it is an issue about money and payment that he refused to let be heard in legal arbitration. how do i pursue him in court for filing a SLAPP case or harassment case. He also did may unethical things while he was my attorney such as tell me that if i didn't pay him for an invoice he forgot to bill me for 1 year proir he would withdraw him self from my case. he also pulled that again when he wanted me to settle down from $300K to $10K, He again said if i didn't he would withdraw from the case. i am looking at countering in superior court because he owes me more than $5K

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Connecticut

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I have gotten the case moved to my area which is danbury court and filed for an extension of time. They are extending but haven't sent a date. I have the counter suit written up but haven't sent it in yet.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I can send the counter suit i wrote up which has the further details.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
12/22/2017
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 4 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

If he is suing you over not signing a settlement because HE breached his agreement to reduce his fees by refusing to put that agreement in writing, then you would have the grounds to countersue him for breach of his agreement and to seek dismissal of his suit, since your failure to sign was based on his breach of the agreement to reduce the fees.

The new CT Anti-SLAPP law is designed to protect people from being sued for libel for speaking up against someone, so it may be tough to get it to fit into this case as you were not exercising your first amendment rights and he is not suing you to prevent you from exercising those rights.

I would certainly claim his suit is frivolous, since had he put his fee reduction in writing as requested, he would not be having this issue with you not signing the settlement. Also, if he did other things that constitute malpractice, then that would be a part of your claim, you would sue him for legal malpractice and for damages his malpractice caused you to suffer.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Hi thank you. I did find your info somewhat helpful. Some more answers would be more helpful.
1.Could you please inform me if this sounds like his suit against me is a harassment suit. Im not sure what you would that would be called. this is basically what i was asking in the above contact. I just had the term wrong.
2. how do i create a motion to ask for a dismissed of his case.
I thought the fee was $49
how many questions do i have ??
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 3 months ago

Thank you for your reply. I told you initially to feel free to ignore the phone call request, the expert did not send it to you. Whatever the fee is is what you agreed to with the site, the experts are not site employees so we do not know.

It sounds like a frivolous suit to intimidate you to agree to the settlement. If he agreed to reduce your fee and then when you agreed he refused, then this suit is frivolous to harass you to sign.

What do you mean "How do I create a motion to dismiss?" Here is a sample motion to dismiss (page 26) and instructions. https://www.jud.ct.gov/lawlib/Notebooks/Pathfinders/Dismiss.pdf

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney