Someone published a book with my name in it without my

Customer Question
Someone published a book...

Someone published a book with my name in it without my permission and used false statements to make themselves look credible, but also affects my business future earnings.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Fl.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No I addressed the individual about it and they tried to say it was only me seeing it that way, but later said they understood. However, the book is still being sold and marketed to the industry we are both are in

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The author manipulated a story to make them look good. They told me the book is self-published and they removed my name from future publishing. However, that was through text. I have no true proof of that. I was contacted by someone who read the book and was informed of how bad it looked. So the book is still out there and it is causing damage to my name and business. I did not consent to my name being put into the book. Hopefully, we could add the lawyer fees into the settlement.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/22/2017
Lawyer: LegalPro54, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
LegalPro54
LegalPro54, Lawyer

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. I am very sorry to hear about this disparaging book. What specifically is your question regarding this matter? I very much look forward to helping you...

I want to know if I could she for defamation of character and hindering business earnings?
The individual admitted the story didn't happen like he wrote it. He stated it would be too many pages.

Thank you.

If a reasonable person would have known that the book was referring to you (and that seems clear since the author was using your actual name), and if the book contains false statements of fact that a reasonable person might believe to be true, then you have a defamation claim. As this book is affecting your business earnings you have damages, too. So you may very well have a claim worth pursuing.

I would retain a defamation attorney as soon as possible. You can locate one here.

I hope this helps. If I can clarify anything at all for you, please do not hesitate to ask. It is my pleasure to assist you further if necessary. If I have answered your question, I would be very grateful if you'd take a moment to positively rate my service to you so that I may receive credit for my assistance.

Best,

Patrick

Was there anything else I can do for you?

Can you please let me know if you are receiving my messages to you?