I filed chapter 7, purchased a car after my meeting with the…

Customer Question
I filed chapter 7...

I filed chapter 7, purchased a car after my meeting with the creditors, the car is a lemon, I need to give the car back. Can I put the car in my chapter 7 bankruptcy? The bankruptcy has not been discharged.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? And has anything been officially filed?

Yes. I did officially file bankruptcy. Ohio

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed in civil court? If so, what?

No. I only had the car for less than 3 months and it needs 6,000 worth of work. The cost of the car is 10,000

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
12/22/2017
Lawyer: DrakeLAW, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
DrakeLAW
DrakeLAW, Lawyer

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you, please give me a moment to review and possibly research answers to your question.

I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news, you cannot include the vehicle debt in the chapter 7 because it was purchased after the filing date. It will not help you that the Discharge has not yet been entered, the relevant date is when the petition was filed.

I don't know if you want to deal with a lawsuit, but it sounds like you may have claims against the seller.

Please kindly rate the question so I may be credited. Thank you. You can still ask follow-up questions.

DrakeLAW
DrakeLAW
DrakeLAW, Lawyer