I have a family member who is posting YouTube videos about…

Customer Question
I have a family...

I have a family member who is posting YouTube videos about untruthful facts about me

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Ohio Toledo Ohio

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

So far this individual has only posted to YouTube videos and wrote a supposedly book about it

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Legal
12/22/2017
Lawyer: ScottyMacEsq, Attorney replied 5 months ago
ScottyMacEsq, Attorney

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Can you tell me what your specific question is?

My Pacific question is this sir that my cousin is making false accusations of about a lot of things that are untrue that I don't want to say yet because it's a defamation of my character
Because I'm not going to say what he saying yet because I need to know that I'm securely protected between attorney-client privilege
my real question is how can I get him to stop making YouTube videos about the untruthful lies and how can I get him to just stop. period

Attorney client privilege attaches when there's an attorney client relationship. The terms of this site specifically disclaim that and say that no such relationship is formed. However, after the question is done, it can be locked for privacy such that no one could read it.

Thank you for that additional information. Please give me a few minutes while I type a response. I am still here with you, but it does take a bit of time to type a complete response.

I mean can I sue him what can I do to get him prevent him from making any more videos about this so called act that I supposedly done to him

First of all, you need to know that Youtube has very little potential liability here. Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act (more on that here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Section_230_of_the_Communications_Decency_Act) gives websites immunity for content published on their sites that they themselves did not publish or edit. So to the extent that this is not the actions of the website, you don't have any case against Youtube.

You could have a case against the family member, seeking an "injunction" (a court order) from a judge that orders him to remove the defamatory statements. If the person doesn't comply, that could be grounds for contempt. But it is part of a defamation lawsuit that would have to be filed to compel this. And that means that you have to have a valid underlying case for defamation. You see, defamation is a false statement of material fact, communicated to a third party, that causes quantifiable economic damages. It has to be false (truth, no matter how insulting or damaging to your reputation, is not actionable as defamation). It has to be a "statement of fact", meaning that opinions are not actionable. So if the family member is saying that you're not "truthworthy", for example, that's a statement of opinion, not fact. But if the person is saying that you're a "thief" that steals money, etc... then that would be a "statement of fact" that, if false, could be actionable (assuming the other elements of defamation are met). It has to be said to a third party, so it's likely that this is met. And then it has to cause quantifiable economic damages, or at least likely to do so in the future.

If these elements can be proven by you (as you have the burden of proof in any lawsuit you file) you need to contact an attorney in your area that deals with defamation cases. Go to www.lawyers.com or www.legalmatch.com to find an attorney in your area. You should be able to find one that will give you a free initial consultation and better advise you of your rights, any problems with your case, likelihood of success, how courts are treating cases such as yours in your area, and what you should do next.

Now prior to that, you can send a demand letter demanding that he immediately cease and desist his defamatory comments, otherwise you will pursue legal action against him, seeking that amount plus any additional damages as allowed by law. Send this letter certified, return receipt requested, as well as a copy sent regular mail. Keep a copy for yourself, as well as the return receipt number so that you can show the court that you made this demand. After that you can get the attorney and actually take it to court, if you can prove the elements of defamation as outlined above.

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars, but note that the rating is what closes out this question, so it is necessary that you do so.

Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

Are you there? Please note that I am still here, awaiting your response or rating... (please note that rating closes this question out, so if there's nothing else, please rate it so that I can assist other customers that are waiting for answers to their questions).

If you can't see the stars, you may need to scroll up / down / left / or right to see them. This is where you rate so that the question will close out.

Should I continue to await your response, or may I assist the other customers that are waiting?

My apologies, but I must assist the other customers that are waiting. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

If you feel that I have gone above and beyond in this answer (my average answer is about 10 minutes) bonuses are greatly appreciated. Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please don't forget to Rate my service positively. It's only after you rate that I am credited.

I see that you have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

Lawyer: ScottyMacEsq, Attorney replied 4 months ago

Again, Please note that I am still waiting for your response or rating...

ScottyMacEsq, Attorney