Sure. According to HIPAA, from my understanding, my privacy…

Customer Question
According to HIPAA, from...

According to HIPAA, from my understanding, my privacy as far as medical procedures, presciptions, etc. are confidential. I am 25 years old, and as of right now (until June 3rd of 2018, when I turn 26) my insurance is in a group plan under my Dad's name. In the past, he has received bills that basically reveal exactly what medical treatments and/or prescriptions that I have received. I'm considering admitting myself into a facility for the betterment of my mental health for very personal reasons due to trauma that I do not want to reveal to my Dad or family at this time. I am wondering if there is a way I can do this without his knowledge? Under HIPAA, I'd assume that's possible but because of previous experience I am obviously skeptical.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I'm in Texas. My Dad and most of my family live in Louisiana

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

As of now, nothing has been filed or reported. Because I haven't seeked professional medical help yet.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
12/22/2017
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thank you very much for your patience. HIPAA guidelines state that your medical records cannot be distributed to any third party for any reason without your authorization. The only exception is if you are a minor or if they are sharing the information with other medical professionals for the purposes of caring for your physical or mental health. Insurance companies are the kinds of companies bound by HIPAA. Because your dad is the policy holder, they probably assume that he is aware of your situation; however, if you write a letter to the insurance company advising them that your information is only to come to you and to no one else, then they have to honor that request. If you and your dad lived in the same house, that probably was part of the issue. Plus, because insurance companies have only recently had to cover people who are over 18, they probably are unaware of their obligation (and thus, you should remind them). What other questions did you have for me today?

Legal Eagle, Lawyer