Something happened between me and my roommate and i want to…

Customer Question
Hi! something happened between...

Hi! something happened between me and my roommate and i want to know if i have a claim

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you and your roommate in? It matters because laws vary by location.

I am in New York City

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you and your roommate taken so far?

So far I haven't taken any steps but I can tell you what happened; I am interested in potentially pursuing a lawsuit against them but I would like to know if my concerns are legitimate or not

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The person with whom I have an issue is a refugee and I want to know how a suit would affect her status in this country as well. Not that I want to have them deported but the answer will define whether or not i go forward with a suit

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
12/21/2017
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Could you provide me a little background as to what happened between your roommate and yourself?

I live with my boyfriend in one room of a three-bedroom apartment in Soho, NYC. There are four of us in this apartment - me and my boyfriend and two roommates, one in each of the other two room. One of our roommates has a girlfriend. This girlfriend does not live with us and is with whom we have the issue. This girlfriend, without permission or even letting my boyfriend know, put up the apartment on AirBNB for two other rooms. She is making money off the apartment even though her name is ***** ***** the lease
She does not have our permission to do so and I'm pretty sure leasing out apartments in NYC especially if your name is ***** ***** the lease is illegal
Soemthing that affects this is that she is also a refugee. I also want to know if taking her to court would somehow negatively affect her status in this country

Great, thank you! Bear with me a moment while I review…

thank you very much

Thank you very much for your patience. Ok, so she doesn't have the right to do this because she is not a tenant or an owner of the property. The roommate may have some limited right to do this, but they would only be able to rent out their own room on AirBNB at the absolute maximum. You may want to consider just writing a cease and desist letter to the roommate's significant other advising that what they are doing is disallowed because you and the other three people actually lease the property. Lawyers use letters like these often to enforce their client’s rights. Here’s a website that has a good template (click here). It only costs $10 and it is way cheaper than litigation.

As far as her refugee status, because this is a civil issue, it is highly, highly unlikely that it is going to be affected. Refugees and other non-citizens deal with civil issues all of the time ranging from traffic citations to tickets for drinking in public. Generally, USCIS wants to keep out violent criminals or people engaging in serious frauds of some kind. What other questions did you have for me regarding this?

No more questions, thank you very very much!

The pleasure is all mine! Unless you have additional questions, there’s just a few other things I’d like you to know before we wrap up this conversation:

1. Could you look on your screen and provide me a star rating? 5-stars are always appreciated.

2. For your benefit, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

3. Don’t forget, if you haven’t already, you can always sign up for a membership with Just Answer and start asking more questions on the cheap.

4. Don’t forget to tell your friends about justanswer.com!