Does writing Paid in Full on a personal check, and if it s…

Customer Question
Does writing Paid in...

Does writing Paid in Full on a personal check, and if it s cash, mean the entire debt is absolved if the check amount is less than the debt?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Illinois

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No, just curious

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Legal
12/21/2017
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thank you very much for your patience. The answer to your question generally is yes, if you write paid in full on a personal check, and then it is cashed, it means that the debt is absolved. Ordinarily, I typically advise my clients to ensure that they are reviewing the memo lines on all of their checks to ensure that they are not binding themselves to an agreement by cashing the check. What other questions did you have for me about this?