I was scammed by someone saying they were the IRS and they…

Customer Question
I was scammed by...

I was scammed by someone saying they were the IRS and they were coming to arrest me.. I was supposed to deposit $6500.00 into a Bank of America account ( which I found out later was in Memphis , TN-I am in Nashville, to). It was to be all in cash. I was very frightened & ignorant. I did as told, the Bank person that I went to , made the deposit. The next day I went back to the same bank employee and he pulled everything up on his computer. He told me Bank America had recognized it as a scam so only released $ 1100.00 to the scam account, the banker was even able to see on his computer that the person had already spent the $ 1100.00, even where he had spent it. But I have NOT been able to find out anything else, especially what the Bank did with the remaining $ 5400.00 since they knew it was a scam. When I got my senses back, I reported it to the local Poline and the TBI. A TBI agent contacted me for my story and said he was on his way for the same scam in the next city. I've heard nothing since, This was in the spring of 2015. The Bank doesn't even show it as a fraud on my account.Is there ANY legal chance of going back on the Bank?

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?

State of TN , spring of 2015, I have all papers, copies and info from the whole deal.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I filed a report with the local police and the TBI

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/21/2017
Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Attorney replied 7 months ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is general information for educational purposes only and doesn’t constitute not legal advice. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the website - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.

Give me just a moment to review what you've written.

So if you're saying the bank only released $1100, you should still see the remaining funds in your account....

So you DO see the remaining funds?

No, I cannot afford that, I just want to know if I have a legal right to file suit for the money

I'm trying to get an answer to a question from you. I understand that you lost $1100 - but is the rest of the money in your account? Or is the bank 'holding' it in some manner?

NO , I have never seen anything
No, I have never received anything back and I have no idea what the Bank has done with it

So, one of two things is true. Either the bank transferred all the money - in which case you cause of action would have to be against the other party. OR the bank transferred $1100 as you originally wrote and then you sue the other party for THAT amount. This presumes the remaining amount is still in your account.

And, have you reached out to the bank about the remaining funds - since you wrote that only $1100 was transferred