Do charges for medicare vary? no but we received our new…

Customer Question
Do charges for medicare...

Do charges for medicare vary?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Washington

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No but we received our new benefits statement and my deduction for medicare was $134 and my wife's was $123 why the difference

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No just want to know what drives the difference

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Legal
12/21/2017
Lawyer: Attorney2, Attorney replied 5 months ago
Attorney2
Attorney2, Attorney

Welcome to JA and thank you for your question. I will be the Attorney that will be assisting you.

I believe that you may be asking if they vary from State to State?

no I just ewanted to know why my charge for medicare was $134 and why my wife's was $123

Thank you for the clarification. The annual cost-of-living adjustment (commonly called COLA) for 2018 will be 2 percent. https://www.cnbc.com/2017/10/13/medicare-premiums-may-devour-increased-2018-social-security-benefit.html

Are you still online with me?

Please do not hesitate to ask me any additional questions that you may have with regard to this matter. It would be my pleasure to continue to assist you.

If you would be kind enough to rate my service positively so I will receive credit for my work from the site I would appreciate it. A positive rating will not impact your ability to obtain a refund.

You may not be familiar with how the site works. The Attorneys to not receive credit from the site for their time or with customers unless the customer provides a positive rating. We answer your questions in good faith, hoping for a good faith response regardless of whether the law is in your favor or not. If you were unhappy with my service please let me know that you would prefer to work with another Attorney and I will opt out.

Can you see the rating scale on your end, 5 stars?

Thank you for your consideration.

https://www.medicare.gov/your-medicare-costs/costs-at-a-glance/costs-at-glance.html

"You probably know that your Medicare Part B premium can change each year. Do you know why? Or how the amount is calculated?

The Balanced Budget Act of 1997 set a formula for determining the standard Part B premium each year. The formula calculates the premium amount to cover 25 percent of the average projected Part B costs per beneficiary.

Part B Premiums for 2017

The standard Part B premium for 2017 is $134 per month. However, most people already on Medicare will pay less than this amount – around $109 – because of the hold harmless rule. The rule states that the Part B premium may not increase more than the Social Security cost-of-living increase in any given year.

You will not be held harmless and will pay the standard Part B premium if any one of the following applies to you:

• You enroll in Part B for the first time in 2017.
  • You don’t get Social Security benefits.
  • You’re billed directly for your Part B premiums.
  • You have Medicare and Medicaid, and Medicaid pays your premiums. Your state will pay the standard premium amount of $134.

People with higher incomes are also not held harmless. They may pay more than the standard Part B premium amount due to an “income-related monthly adjustment.” The adjustment is based on adjusted gross income reported 2 years prior. Your 2015 tax return will determine your 2017 Part B premium.

The table below shows 2017 Part B premium amounts. Look for your tax filing status, individual or joint, and find your 2015 income in that column. Follow the row across to see what you will pay for Part B in 2017." https://blog.medicaremadeclear.com/the-truth-your-medicare-part-b-premium-2/

Are you still online with me?

Yes, they can vary.

Thank you for your consideration.

Attorney2
Attorney2
Attorney2, Attorney