Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I'm closing up my business and leaving with unpaid rent. The…

Customer Question
I'm closing up my...

I'm closing up my business and leaving with unpaid rent. The landlord wants to have me sign a Promisory Note in both my and my husbands name. My husband was not involved in any way with my business. The landlord said he is doing this so he can attach a lien to my house, in the case I don't pay or die. I thought I could get a life insurance policy. What thoughts do you have on this. We are friendly and I want to keep it that way.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Sorry, Milford, Ohio

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No, I don't think so.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The amount we are talking about is $8,000.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/21/2017
Lawyer: Loren, Attorney replied 2 months ago
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

Did you sign personally, or sign a personal guaranty, or is the tenant a registered business entity?

I'm not sure about a registered business entity & yes I did sign a note for the delinquent amount.

Thank you for the additional information.

Unless the landlord is offering some concession, such as a discount, for your husband's signature, there is absolutely no reason to expand the liability by having him obligated, as well as you.

If the landlord wants your husband to sign then he should be offering something for it, such as a discount or a limit on liability.

Also, make sure the amount is abated if the landlord starts collecting rent from a new tenant.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

I'm sorry, please don't call me I can't pay you right now.

The site makes the phone offer automatically. It is not coming from me.

I am happy to continue online.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question? Please let me know.

Are you still online with me?

Lawyer: Loren, Attorney replied 1 month ago

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!

Loren, Attorney