I recently signed a lease for an apartment and now the

Customer Question
Hi I recently signed...

Hi I recently signed a lease for an apartment and now the property is offering more move in promotions for cheaper rent. Is there anything I can do to get into the new promotions?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

New York State.. the manager told me when I signed the lease there would be no more promotions being offered in the future

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

What do you mean?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
12/21/2017
Lawyer: LegalKnowledge, Attorney replied 7 months ago
LegalKnowledge, Attorney

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good afternoon. They have no legal obligation to provide you with any type of move in promotion and these are often limited to certain times of the year or done when there are a lot of occupancies. The fact that they are doing this now, does not mean that they would have to offer it to you and this is something which could have been negotiated for when you signed the lease.

There was no further promotions when I signed the lease and the manager of the property told me there would be no more further promotions
Anything I can do?

The only thing to do would be to try and sue them for the misrepresentation and fraud and argue that they lied to you to induce you to sign when they knew there would be a promotion in X amount of time. Of course, they could deny this and say it was decided after the fact and he did not know, so it would be up to the court to decide.

They are also refusing to let me install a deadbolt lock on my door because they say the front door building is secure and locked. The only lock on the my door to the apartment currently is the door knob lock. Anything I can do here?

Does the lease address this? What if you provide them with a key for access? Have they advised why they are against this?

The lease says upon approval of the property can a deadbolt lock be installed.. but they have no good reason for not letting me install a deadbolt.. their only reasoning is that the front door building is locked and secured and a deadbolt is not needed. Doesn’t make sense to me even after I told them that I would purchase the deadbolt myself and give them a copy of the key. What can I do?

If you need their permission, it has to be obtained. I say this because the lease states it and when you signed the lease you agreed to this. While I agree with you, unless there is a basis to compel and force them to allow it, they can use their discretion. If you did it and they found out, they could violate you and ask that it be removed and charge for any replacement to the door, that will be needed as well.

The property manager also told me right before signing the lease that there would be no more promotions and that there would be no better promotions in the future. What can I do about that statement?

You could speak with him and ask him about this representation and why he said it and you find out that is not true. If you can show he knew about this and lied, you could sue and try and be compensated for this.

Can I try to renegotiate the lease at this point with this new information?

You can try and see if they will agree but if they refuse, the lease would control and you would have to sue and go after them for relief.

If the property manager did lie how could I find that out?

You would need to depose him and other people who work for the company and ask them about the promotions and who is involved and had knowledge of it and see if it could be discovered.

What’s the chances of me suing and winning in a case like this?

I think it will be tough. I know you wanted to benefit from the promotion but if you like the rental and it is affordable and meets your needs, it may not be worth suing and investing the money, based upon what you may recover. It is at your discretion and you never know how a Judge or Jury may decide and if you do not know the legal system, you may want to hire an attorney which will cost money as well. You are welcome. Please let me know if there is anything else, as I would be happy to respond. If not, please remember to rate my help at this time at the top of this page, prior to leaving, so I can receive the proper credit, for our time together. A 5 STAR rating is greatly appreciated. Thank you.