My existing tenants verbally committed to rental agreement…

Customer Question
Second opinion] My existing...

Second opinion] My existing tenants verbally committed to rental agreement from May 2016 to May 2017 rent has not been paid in full since October with outstanding water and sewer bill,what legal rights do I have I have text messages proving that they were living there and old lease

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

New Jersey

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not yet but 2 tenants are moving out January 1st and are asking for there security deposit

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not really

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/21/2017
Lawyer: LegalKnowledge, Attorney replied 7 months ago
LegalKnowledge, Attorney

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good afternoon. You have a legal right to demand payment in full and if it is not made, evict AND you have a legal right to collect the past due rent. They have no legal right to live there for free and if they resided there, need to pay rent. Even if this was verbal, they could be considered month to month tenants and the obligation to pay the rent remains.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be 5 STARS! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

Lawyer: LegalKnowledge, Attorney replied 6 months ago

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!