Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

My federal student loan is in default and they are

My federal student loan...

My federal student loan is in default and they are threatening to garnish my wages

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And when did the issue begin?

TN, I received the letter about two weeks ago

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you spoken to a local attorney or school administrator? What is your ideal outcome for this situation?

No I have not yet. I have been out of school for 16 years. I would just like to start making payments again. But I can not make a $200 or more payment a month. My spouse is disabled and I have a son in college

12/21/2017
Lucy, Esq., Attorney

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

Have you tried talking to the company at all or seeking lower payments?

No they want me to send in all of my financial info

Thank you.

There unfortunately isn't statute of limitations on student loans owed to the federal government, so the way to avoid garnishment may be to work with them and see if you can arrange for making lower payments This site allows you to apply for reduced payments based on your income.

https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/repay-loans/understand/plans/income-driven

You can also try sending in the information they're requesting to see what options they can offer. Sometimes they'll settle for less than the total owed, but that usually requires that you have cash available to make a lump sum payment.

Thanks

You're welcome. Good luck.

Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Lucy, Esq., Attorney