I own a small transport company and my family owns a trailer…

Customer Question
Hello, I own a...

Hello, I own a small transport company and my family owns a trailer dealership in Maine. One of my trailers needed a couple welds fixed and an inspection. My driver was in Ohio where he lived and said that one of his relatives has a small shop and will fix the welds cheap and can inspect the trailer. I could have had this work completed at our dealership for our cost of the work(cheap) but it was more convenient for my driver to have it done in Ohio where he was going to be staying for a few days anyways. So I give him the OK to drop it off and have that completed. Oops didnt mean to push send. I will finish message in a sec but it will be lengthy

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the mobile home?

Ohio It is a transportation trailer

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes one sec. ill finish message. thanks

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/21/2017
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today.

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. What specific questions did you have? I have an idea about your situation, but I don’t want to make any assumptions.

continuing original message..... After I gave the OK for the brake job for it to pass inspection with rebuilt brake calibers, I payed the mechanic $200 to go look at a truck nearby that I was interested in buying. On his way back he called me to go over the condition of that truck and then got talking about my trailer that was int he shop. He spoke of the bill being up around $1000-1500. I was extremely polite with him but not very thrilled about this because the trailer only went into the shop for an inspection sticker and couple welds. but said that it was ok and I would pay it.. A couple days later I got a call from my driver saying that he was very mad because his cousin told him that the bill was going to be over $5000. Both him and I were very blindsided and upset about this. I told my driver that was not right and I was not paying $5000. He spoke with the shop owner and suposably the bill was actually around $4400. Still being wayyyyyy more than inticipated, I called the owner and told him I could not pay that but just because I am a nice guy and don't want to fly out to Ohio to settle this is small claims court I would pay $2500 just to be done with it. After kindly explaining my side of what happened and expressing my frustrations of not approving work that was completed he was very rude in his response and said something along the lines of "Is what it is. $4400 or the trailer stays here". To top it off. He knew that he was trying to screw me all along because when he originally asked for payment he said that it needed to be in the form of a wire and that he would not accept a check or credit card. There is no way that he doesn't accept credit cards or checks. He just knew I was not going to like the amount. I went on google and found a review of somebody else they did the same thing to. My driver heard of another person getting screwed by this shop as well. The name of the place is Stoepfel Trucking and Repair LLC in Grand Rapids, OH. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I'm so sorry to hear about this situation. This appears to me to be a case of fraud and breach of contract. If you did not receive an estimate or anything detailing the work that was to be done ahead of time, then you aren't responsible for anything beyond what you initially agreed to. If he did work that was outside the agreement or if he overcharged for work, then that's fraud. You may need to call the attorney general in OH and have them help, call a lawyer in the area to help, or even call the police. You could argue he is unlawfully holding your trailer and that his failure to return it is theft.
Have you considered filing a small claims action against him?