Barrister, I had another question about my living situation.

Customer Question
Hi Barrister, I had another question...
Hi Barrister,
I had another question about my living situation. I was on a lease with my ex and we were fighting about who gets the apartment. I decided to get a restraining order because he had been abusive and threatened me, my things and my cat. When he found out about this he went and signed a new lease in the same apartment building with my landlord without my name on it terminating my other lease. And now I am out of a place to live. Was this legal in any way?
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/21/2017
Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 8 months ago
Barrister, Attorney

Hello again,

.

No, he can't terminate your lease as he has no legal authority to do so... He is just now a signer on two leases that he is legally liable for unless the landlord has released him from the first lease. But your lease is still completely legally binding and you are able to enforce it against the landlord until its natural expiration.

.

.

thanks

if I continue to live there but have a restraining order on him that was served yesterday, the same day he signed the lease to the new apartment in the same building, can that be terminated because he would be living under 150 ft away

Yes, if the RO has a distance limit on it, he can't come within that range or he is in violation of the RO and you can have him arrested.

.

It was kind of stupid for him to sign a new lease that close to you...

.

.

thanks

I was also wondering, since I have a restraining order is it okay for my ex boyfriends mom to text and call me on behalf of him?

Nope, that typically is still a violation.. the judge normally puts in the RO that he can't have direct or indirect contact with you through 3rd parties or that is a violation as well...

.

It was my pleasure to work with you and help with your question. If you ever need me in the future, you can post a new question with "For Barrister" in the title and the JustAnswer employees will get it to me.

.

If you feel I have answered all your questions, I would very much appreciate a 5 star rating by clicking on the rating scale on your screen as that is the only way I receive credit for my work.

.

.

Thanks much

Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 7 months ago

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much