If Spokane county police department is you to a search

Customer Question
If Spokane county police...

If Spokane county police department is you to a search warrant for my place and they came into it without the judge's signature on it is that legal

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when was the warrant issued?

Washington State Spokane county

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

What do you mean

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Legal
12/21/2017
Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Attorney replied 6 months ago
Lucy, Esq., Attorney

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

It is possible for police to get authorization for a search warrant over the telephone. However, the magistrate is supposed to then give someone else authority to put the judge's signature on the warrant. RCW 10.79.035. With no signature at all, there is no evidence that the warrant was authorized by anyone, which means it's not valid. If you were charged with a crime, you have the ability to file a Motion to Suppress, asking the judge in your case to toss out any items seized during the search. Any statements made related to those items are inadmissible, plus any evidence they found as a result (like if they found an address that lead them to more evidence). That's all considered "the fruit of the poisonous tree," and can't be used.

If you are able to get the evidence suppressed, in many cases, it may be possible then get the case dismissed. But the starting point is the Motion to Suppress. When you go to court, if you're charged with a crime that could potentially carry jail time, the judge can appoint a lawyer for you at no expense. Your lawyer will file the motion for you.

If you have any questions or concerns, please reply WITHOUT RATING so I may address them. My goal is to provide you with excellent customer service. Otherwise, please rate my answer positively so I get credit for assisting you today. Mobile users may have to scroll to the right. Thank you.